Friday, October 16, 2009

Finally Here! Holy Scripture: The Ground and Pillar of Our Faith

My eagerly anticipated birthday present, the three volume set 'Holy Scripture: The Ground and Pillar of Our Faith' arrived yesterday, and I wanted to share the very first page, which all by itself makes the books worth having, as a summary of the necessity of the doctrine of 'sola scriptura.' It is doubly exciting because the page is an excerpt from a work by William Chillingworth, a nineteenth century protestant who converted to Roman Catholicism and then back again to protestantism. Here he gives some of his reasoning in a sort of overview.
Please follow the link for the page above. It is actually part of a page from Chillingworth's book 'The Religion of Protestants'. If you begin reading page 463 where it begins 'The Bible, I say, the Bible.... and end where it says 'and to live according to it' you will have read what was included in the excerpt.
I especially like the part where he says:
"I...do profess plainly that I cannot find any rest for the sole of my foot but upon this rock only. I see plainly, and with my own eyes, that there are popes against popes, councils against councils, some fathers against others, the same fathers against themselves, a consent of fathers of one age against a consent of fathers of another age, the church of one age against the church of another age. Traditive interpretations of scripture are pretended; but there are few or none to be found: no tradition but only of scripture, can derive itself from the fountain, but may be plainly proved either to have been brought in, in such an age after Christ, or that in such an age it was not in. In a word, there is no sufficient certainty but of scripture only for any considering man to build upon. This therefore, and this only, I have reason to believe: this will I profess, according to this will I live, and for this, if there be occasion, I will not only willingly, but even gladly lose my life, though I should be sorry that Christians should take it from me."

No comments: