Monday, October 25, 2010

Finished part one of 'Seven Storey Mountain'

I finally have got through part one of Merton's 'Seven Storey Mountain'. So far it has been a long and depressing story because of the aimless selfishness of his early years. I know that his conversion to Catholicism is coming soon, but I don't know what else to expect. In part one, Merton did bring out some insights that were interesting and helpful from a human standpoint. Here's one quote from fairly early in the book:
Indeed, the truth that many people never understand until it is too late, is that the more you try to avoid suffering, the more you suffer, because smaller and more insignificant things begin to torture you, in proportion to your fear of being hurt. The one who does most to avoid suffering is, in the end, the one who suffers most: and his suffering comes to him from things so little and so trivial that one can say that it is no longer objective at all. It is his own existence, his own being, that is at once the subject and the source of his pain, and his very existence and consciousness is his greatest torture. This is another of the great perversions by which the devil uses our philosophies to turn our whole nature inside out, and eviscerate all our capacities for good, turning them against ourselves.

That isn't necessarily a spiritual insight, but it is an observation that I can relate to. As someone that has suffered from depression since I was small, and used to suffer acute anxiety as well; and as someone who is often way over-sensitive and has tried for most of my life to escape from and avoid pain and discomfort, I can see the truth of Merton' statement. Maybe he learned this truth from personal experience as well. This attitude of escaping from pain comes from selfishness and unbelief; from a lack of faith or trust in God's goodness, and that He works for the good of those who put their trust in Him. This is something that God has been showing me for a long time, little by little, to help me trust in Him more and more. I'm learning to 'trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.'

More to come....

5 comments:

Moonshadow said...

I liked Part II very much so I hope you continue reading.

insights that were interesting ... from a human standpoint. ... isn't necessarily a spiritual insight

"A coward dies a thousand deaths ..." - Shakespeare

Merton's appeal is how human he is. Thankfully, one hears more and more these days that being a Christian makes one more, not less, human. More as God intended us. We ought to find that attractive.

John said...

"Merton's appeal is how human he is." Exactly. That, and I think he writes in a way that anyone can easily relate to their own life experiences. His style of writing and his integrity are just two of the things I so love when I read him. His story and journey to his unfortunate electrocution is always interesting regardless of where one comes down on his religious beliefs.

Jennie said...

Teresa,
I'll keep reading, knowing that the story will get more interesting and uplifting, even if I don't agree with Merton on many things.

Merton's appeal is how human he is. Thankfully, one hears more and more these days that being a Christian makes one more, not less, human. More as God intended us. We ought to find that attractive.

I agree that being a Christian makes one more human, in the sense of being what God intends humans to be as they come into right relationship with Him. I think that's always been understood by Christians, though some may lose sight of it.

Jennie said...

I think he writes in a way that anyone can easily relate to their own life experiences. His style of writing and his integrity are just two of the things I so love when I read him. His story and journey to his unfortunate electrocution is always interesting regardless of where one comes down on his religious beliefs.

Merton does write in a way one can relate to; and I do see his integrity and honesty. I wish he had seen the kind of protestantism of people that really know Christ and love God and one another. He doesn't seem to have seen the real body of Christ at work in protestants, only nominal ones.

Moonshadow said...

He doesn't seem to have seen the real body of Christ at work in protestants, only nominal ones.

I'll grant you that, a bit. Maybe if he'd toured Germany and Scotland instead of France and Italy and England?

But Merton was at least as influenced by what he read as by whom he met. And, well, if the acquaintance was also an author, like Mark Van Doren, even better.

So we aren't confined to "chance meetings" - we can seek out influences in books. I think Merton saw himself as predisposed towards Catholicism from childhood.