Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Did John Calvin 'consent unto the death' of Michael Servetus?

Here is an article I read about John Calvin today. I had been told several years ago that John Calvin had a heretic put to death. I, not being a Calvinist and not knowing anything about him except by hearsay, did not have any reason to think this wasn't true and did not investigate it, though it always bothered me that someone who was supposed to be a reformer would be a persecutor.
I had started reading 'Calvin's Calvinism' here, and a reference to the incident caused me to look up more information on the subject. I found the above article that explains another side of what happened between John Calvin and Michael Servetus, who is the man Calvin supposedly persecuted.
I always have wondered what Calvin really taught; if he would recognize the doctrines that are attributed to him today. I have never read any of his writings, so when I finish the translated documents mentioned above, I'll let you know what I think.

No comments: