Saturday, September 02, 2017

Poem

Dark velvet cool air whispers my skin
Cricket chirp and katydid, ebb and flow in counterpoint, gently vibrating my eardrums
Supine, I view moving billows lit by climbing hidden moon
Black lace tracery, flung from lithe swaying columns, frames my circle world
Scattered pinpricks tangle and wink in the blue between
Fireflies blink slow in the periphery and are gone, as my eye turns
Sudden, I am sailing with the trees, passing beneath a fixed roof of cloud
Tree-lace and lawn-boat tilt and we're tipping, sliding off the world
Into stars
I close my eyes, hold on, then know: nothing saves me but letting go
Up to the dark that frames the light, down to the earth that hurts, but stops my fall
I'm alive and not afraid, there's joy instead!
~~JAS

Painting: Georgia O'Keeffe, The Lawrence Tree


No comments: