Saturday, March 01, 2014

The Last Hiker: The "Son of God" Movie is Not What We Think

The Last Hiker posted this blog recently about the film 'Son of God' which opened this weekend. In reading the blog, I was disappointed to see how many protestant leaders are promoting this film, which looks, according to examples from sources listed in the blog post, to be dangerously inaccurate and misleading. The blog also states that several Catholic bishops are promoting the film and saying how good it is. I hope to see some sign of discernment coming from leaders and lay people, both protestant and Catholic, as the film is reviewed.

UPDATE:  A reader brought to my attention that the tone of the blog post I linked to here is uncharitable and that my post is in contrast to the earlier one I posted about the Mexican Catholics ostracizing their protestant neighbors. In the earlier post, I stressed my concern that these Catholics are not behaving as Christians should and are hurting the unity of the church. I was inconsistent in posting an article in which the author has an uncharitable tone and criticizes fellow believers, even saying that Roma Downey and her husband are not Christians and are hurting the cause of Christ.  I am posting this update because I agree that I was being inconsistent, and admit that I hastily posted the link to the Son of God blog post without thinking it through. I am linking here to a more reasonable and charitable review and critique of the Son of God movie by Answers in Genesis. Here is the link: Answers in Genesis: Movie Review: Son of God

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I don not always agree with you posts on doctrinal views... I enjoy your writing & your respect for the Word of God. If only more Christians could show the same respect for God's Word...your movie analysis sounds right on target.

Jennie said...

Thank you for commenting. I'm glad you enjoy my blog. :)

Anna said...

Yes, that review is definitely more charitable. It's interesting that the author's complaint is essentially that the movie is 'anemic', that it goes light on the need to see ourselves as sinners in need of redemption. In my experience, many overemphasize our sinfulness, portraying humankind as worthless without appreciating the goodness that God created us with. But many also underemphasize our sinfulness, portraying people as A-OK without reference to God. A movie that is anemic on sin could be what some need to hear, while being potentially harmful to others.

Anna said...

One of these days I'm going to start remembering to check that little box that emails follow-up comments, so I don't have to keep coming back to check. ;)