Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Wash One Another's Feet: John 13

What did Jesus mean here? How do we do this?
Jesus said to him, “He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean"....So when He had washed their feet, taken His garments, and sat down again, He said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you? You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet."
Jesus also says "For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them."
If we want to be blessed, how do we wash each other's feet? I don't think it's a one-time thing, nor even literally washing each other's feet. I think Jesus was talking about a day to day thing, that has to do with helping each other be clean from our daily 'travels' in which we pick up 'dust' from the road along the way. How?

No comments: